Let this sink in: retirees are moving to senior living earlier than ever today; even while perfectly healthy. If you’re imagining the sterile care setting of nursing homes past and wonder how that could be true; you’ve missed a big evolution in senior living. Care absolutely still has its place, but today’s communities are focused on lifestyle. A lifestyle that supports your overall wellness, convenience and peace of mind that is. What prompted the change? You did; or at least your generation. The result is senior living baby boomer-style.
A Retirement Boom
From now until 2030, 10,000 Baby Boomers each day will hit retirement age according to AARP. This translates to nearly seven baby boomers turning 65 every single minute. Senior living is taking note, not only of the sheer number of retirees but also your expectations for life as you get older. After all your generation is known for blazing its own trail; you’re living longer, in better health, more educated and more independent than generations past. Perhaps because of this, no boomer is going to let age slow them down. Neither will the lifestyle in senior living.
Senior Living Helps You Do Wellness Well
In recent years, the concept of wellness has shifted beyond simply the management of disease to a focus on prevention and being proactive according to The International Council on Active Aging (ICAG). Their philosophy is that retirees can live fully within a framework of seven overlapping dimensions of wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, vocational, social, spiritual and environmental.
Senior living communities like Richfield make this easy with activities in each of these dimensions and enough variety that there’s something for everyone to enjoy such as:
- Classes – Cooking, Crafts, Painting, Poetry
- Outings – Restaurants, Movies, Events, Shopping
- Clubs – Red Hat Society, Men’s Club
- Special Events – Live Entertainment, Antique Car Show, Pet Visits
- Pampering – Manicures, Facials, Aromatherapy, Hand Massages
- Games – Bingo, Trivia, Wii Bowling, Balloon Volleyball, Karaoke, Puzzles, Brain Games
- Socials – Birthday Celebrations, Sunday Sing-a-Longs, Seasonal Treats
- Church Services – And Bible Studies
- Fitness – Sit & B-Fit Classes, Yoga, Water Aerobics
- Cognitive Enrichment – Reminisce Corner, Sensory and Music Activities
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Educational Events
Convenience is Key in Senior Living Communities
Boomers are known for working hard and in retirement you deserve to play hard without worrying about anything else. That’s why senior living communities are focused on convenience, so you have plenty of time to enjoy life. Here’s how:
- Worry-Free Living – With housekeeping, laundry, restaurant-style dining and maintenance, the chores are all taken care of for you.
- Location – Senior living communities are often located in the center of it all near healthcare, shopping, dining, cultural events and more.
- Amenities – Most communities offer a fitness center, pool, onsite salon and transportation to name just a few amenities and you’ll live on a beautiful campus with comfortable accommodations and an environment specifically designed for retirees with safety and security features as standard.
Plenty of Peace of Mind
Boomers are also one of the most successful generations, and we know that didn’t happen by accident. In fact, a survey by the National Council on Aging found that financial security is of the utmost importance to 71 percent of retirees.
It’s certainly easier to enjoy retirement communities in Virginia without the worries of a mortgage, property taxes, home insurance or the next repair bill to hit. Senior living can take that weight off your shoulders by giving you peace of mind over how, when and what you can expect to pay. Communities have a range of pricing options with models that range from all-inclusive to a la carte so you can choose exactly what’s right for your specific needs.
But the options don’t stop there, there are different levels of care from retirement living and assisted living to memory care and skilled nursing. A senior living community like Richfield offers all these on one campus which gives you peace of mind that you can stay in the same place, with friends, familiar surroundings and continuity of care however your health needs may evolve.