Senior Living Communities and the Social Calendar: The Benefits of Active Aging
When it comes to aging, conventional wisdom used to be ‘do less, rest more’; perhaps that’s where the term ‘rest home’ came from. Today it’s a different story. Much research has been done on the importance of staying active as you age, and while the benefits of physical activity are certainly no mystery, what about the benefits of social activity?
You might be surprised to learn that socially active seniors have a lower death rate and lower risk for Alzheimer’s, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease as well as even some forms of cancer according to the National Institute on Aging.
Alternatively, the AARP Foundation’s Connect2Affect has labelled social isolation as a “growing health epidemic” among seniors equating the health risks of prolonged isolation to the dangers of smoking 15 cigarettes a day. And with the Council on Contemporary Families reporting that 40 percent of seniors live by themselves by the age of 85, you can see why.
Senior Living Communities Go Social
Senior living communities in Virginia have taken note and today social opportunities are one of the biggest draws in senior living. Most communities now have a dedicated program director and monthly calendars filled with clubs, classes, events and outings as well of plenty of common areas to entertain friends and family.
Richfield Living Gets Busy
Richfield Living is a prime example of this evolution. There’s no time for boredom or loneliness on our campus. Each residence, whether it’s Assisted Living, Memory Care, Nursing Care or The Rehab Center, has its own social calendar that changes monthly to help our seniors live life to its fullest.
With a wide range of activities, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Here’s a sample of what you’ll find on the senior living communities schedule:
- Classes – Cooking, Crafts, Painting, Poetry
- Outings – Restaurants, Movies, Events, Shopping
- Clubs – Red Hat Society, Men’s Club
- Special Events – Live Entertainment, Antique Car Show, Pet Visits
- Pampering – Manicures, Facials, Aromatherapy, Hand Massages
- Games – Bingo, Trivia, Wii Bowling, Balloon Volleyball, Karaoke, Puzzles, Brain Games
- Socials – Birthday Celebrations, Sunday Sing-a-Longs, Seasonal Treats
- Church Services and Bible Studies
- Fitness – Sit & B-Fit Classes, Yoga, Water Aerobics
- Cognitive Enrichment – Reminisce Corner, Sensory and Music Activities
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Educational Events